HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 02:47:48 -0400
Ian or any other Quonset/Nissen/Igloo fan,

What information do you have on the use of Qunoset huts as forms for
underground bunkers covered with 4-inches of steel reinforced concrete? A
number of underground bunkers at U.S. Army Fort Rosecrans, unfortunately they
are not marked on maps and are not dated. I figure them to be 1942-1944, but
really can not be sure. The one I am most concerned with is associated with
was swiftly built as a morgue in association with a hospital built in 1940.
Apparently it was thrown together so fast that the concrete did not bond well
and no floor was put in. It was not marked on the old maps. All the
corrugated steel forms were removed.

I have also seen similar cast concrete "igloos" or tiny quonset huts, 400
square feet, buried along sandbagged trenches for provide barracks.

Any info on the cast concrete forms?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.