HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 07:21:05 -0400
I would add to this list that for anyone dealing with sites that date to the mid
19C a copy of

Percy, John
 1864 Metallurgy: The Art of Extracting Metals from Their Ores, and Adapting Them
to Various Purposes of Manufacture. Iron and Steel.  John Murray, Albemarle
Street, London.

The chances are quite good that there is a plate of the equipment you are working
on.  While

Overman, Frederick
 1850 The Manufacture of Iron, In All Its Various Branches.  Also, a description
of forge hammers, rolling mills, blast machines, hot blast, etc. To which is
added, an essay on the manufacture of steel.   Henry C. Baird, Successor to E. L.
Carey, Philadelphia.

 is good for pictures, Overman was a founder and the work suffers from numerous
technical errors.  Overman's book on founding, however, is supposed to be very
authoritative

 1851 The moulder's and founder's pocket guide; a treatise on moulding and
founding. With an appendix containing receipts for alloys, bronze, varnishes, and
colours for castings, also tables on the strength and other qualities of cast
metals.  A. Hart, late Carey & Hart, Philadelphia.

Another good source, especially if you read French is:

Hassenfratz, J. H.
 1812 La Sidérotechnie, ou L'Art de Traiter les Minérais de Fer en Obtenir de la
Fonte, du Fer, ou de L'acier.  Chez Firmin Didot, Imprimeur de L'Institut,
Libraire, Paris.

 Much more complete than Diderot, but as far as I can tell, never translated.