HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dave McMahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:21:52 -0800
Julie,

While doing survey along remote sections of the abandoned Copper River Railroad
(1908-1938) in 1992 we discovered a corked medicine bottle with white powdery
contents, along with Chinese magazines, in the attic of a section house.  The
bottle was tucked inside a baking soda can, along with a sharpened stick, and
secured with a 1920 newspaper.  Sure that the bottle contained narcotics, I
arranged with contacts at the state crime laboratory to do analysis.  In short,
mass spec. indicated the contents to be strychnine.  My suggestion is that -- if
you can arrange for your local crime lab to do analysis, their analytic equipment
is already set up to compare samples with a database of stored profiles for
narcotics, poisons, etc.

Dave McMahan