HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 09:44:21 -0400
At 9:31 AM -0400 6/7/02, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Can anyone suggest sources that describe/illustrate black (dark gray) clay
>pipes that have a thin white clay slip/glaze?

The practice of adding whitening to darker pipes was nearly universal
with the seventeenth-century Virginia mold-made, burnished,
"terra-cotta" pipes. These pipes often include elaborate designs,
which seem (to my eye) to be derived from similar punctate designs
found on late prehistoric pipes in the same locality. Among these
motifs are starburst and running deer. Not uncommonly these pipes are
found with a whitening imbedded in the punctate designs, and I have
seen a few examples where there are hints of white on the surfaces.
If some of them were whitened overall, I can't say for sure, but the
whitening certainly was present.

Some European pipe makers, outside the Dutch-British circle, produced
long-stemmed clay pipes that were not white.  In particular, the Dane
Severin Furstler (sp?) and some Swedish makers, produced pipes that
were shaped like the Dutch-British pipes, but were of a dark paste.
So it's entirely possible that Danish or Swedish pipes were whitened.

--
   Ned Heite            _(____)_     A waist is
   Heite Consulting    /Baby '69|    a terrible