HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 02:12:41 -0400
Thanks for the response. I worked in archaeological survey along the St.
Lawrence River and of course if you visit Kingston, Ontario and the other
forts along there (one across from Ogdensburg, NY where the Remington Art
Museum is and buffalo now roam) you can see how heavily fortified "Upper
Canada" was and very interesting historical sites they are. The
complementary Sackett's Harbor was perhaps not as fortified but had more
than 30,000 troops there and at Madison Barracks (many a West Pointer's
first assignment, including former President U. Grant and British "war
brides" processed there, and Dr. Guthrie's first recorded use of ether in a
medical operation) and the whole topic is extremely interesting, where,
America's Navy began, on the Great Lakes. Crysler's farm I have been to, a
few years after the last "Queen's Jubilee" and it is a destroyed site,
mounded up and made into a large flowered hillside, in the construction of
the St. Lawrence Seaway. However, many places were disturbed and put
underwater, having had all the pre-Seaway then "current conditions" maps
under my arm one summer for the "New York Power" interest. (The historic
"Union Hotel" is now the headquarters for the federal Seaway Commission, a
good reuse, in Sackett's Harbor. The Madison Barracks site has been remade
into a retirement/condominium type place and with Sackett's Harbor, part of
one of New York State's "Urban Cultural Parks" 14 across the state at last
count) Many changes have occurred there, many bridges built over the once
trecherous water between the US and Canada, and many thanks for the reply. I
don't think we're related, but, hey, how come there's so many Myers' around
Pontefract in West Yorkshire?

George Myers