HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeannine and Tony Kreinbrink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:43:31 -0500
Hi all,

I asked the students in my Historical Archaeology class to conduct an oral
history interview with someone they knew, then relate the results to
archaeology.  One of the students interviewed his father about hog
butchering.  As someone else noted, they scalded the hogs first to make
removing the skin easier.  They dug a long, shallow pit, perhaps two feet by
6 feet and up to two feet deep.  In this the person built a pretty intense
fire.  They heated limestone rocks (around here in northern Kentucky that's
about all we have, elsewhere probably the local rock) in the fire.  They
dropped the rocks into big kettles to heat the water.  The hogs were dipped
into these kettles from above.  After that, proceed to the actual butchering
process.

Archaeologically this would leave long shallow pits and piles of rocks.
Sometimes they re-used the pits and sometimes they just dug new ones.  These
would be found near the barns and outbuildings.

Jeannine Kreinbrink