HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
ntlworld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 22:32:37 +0000
As a 13 year old schoolkid I went to hear Adrian Oswald speak on clay pipes
in Northamptonshire about 1968- my very first inkling that archaeology
extended beyond the Roman period. I never met him again but I have used his
work on clay pipes, English stone ware and various excavation reports. He
was a prime creator of post-medieval archaeology in post-war London where he
was the mentor of a certain Ivor Noel Hume. I don't know if Ivor is a
memeber of Histarch but as European co-ordinator of the SHA newsletter I
send him  aletter as he seems the obvious person to write such an obituary,
though he may be already committed to writing several. I hope to see many of
you in Mobile if my airline tickets ever arrive.

Best Wiushes & Merry Christmas
Paul Courtney