HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Greg Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:58:44 -0800
Yes they have! At least some of the powerlines from San Bernardino to the
Boulder Dam have been determined eligible. They were originally constructed
to supply power for dam construction, and set records for the
longest/highest voltage etc.

I wasn't involved with the evaluation, but I remember reading the site form
for a project using the powerline corridor. It seemed to suggest that the
30's and 40's were quite an exciting time for powerline construction, with
all sorts of records being constantly broken. There also seemed to be some
detail on the type of tower, so I assume there is some "spotter's guide to
transmission towers" - maybe.

Greig