HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Silliman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:40:54 -0500
To all:

Well, the final results seem to be in given the silence on the list
regarding this topic.  So, in the spirit of sharing, I've compiled the
suggestions to distribute to all of you with an interest.  I've grouped them
primarily by geographic area if they refer to this earthly world or its
"alternate" states.  I say that only because I've also included a separate
science fiction category for the otherwordly sorts of encounters, since that
surely sparked a few minds out there.  I have only edited this list to
remove the general "archaeology in fiction" category if the book wasn't
really about "culture contact" or its related forms per se.  Same goes for
some novels about general "American history".

I cannot speak for the quality or appropriateness of any of these since
several of them are new to me, but it is surely a list that we can all use
to generate class ideas, fill our leisure reading times, etc.  Finally, I
draw your attention to those entries below with a double-asterisk beside
them -- these come highly recommended either by quality or by quantity of
"votes" for them.  Feel free to comment or add to this list for a second
round of discussion.

Here's to a happy holiday/winter/solstice season for you all.

Steve

Stephen Silliman, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3393
Office: 617-287-6854
Fax: 617-287-6857
Email: [log in to unmask]

FICTIONAL (and a few other) ACCOUNTS OF CULTURE CONTACT AND COLONIALISM

North America

Attanasio, A.A.  / "Ink from the New Moon" (Dozois, Gardner, and Stanley
Schmidt [eds.] Roads Not Taken: Tales of Alternate History)

**Barth, John  / The Sot-Weed Factor

Harrigan, Lana  / Acoma: A Novel of Conquest

Hudson, Charles  / Conversations with the High Priest of Coosa

Hudson, Joyce Rockwood  / Apalachee

Michener, James  / Centennial

**Moore, Brian  / Black Robe

Thom, James Alexander  / Panther in the Sky

Thom, James Alexander  / The Red Heart

Thom, James Alexander  / Sign-Talker : The Adventure of George Drouillard on
the Lewis and Clark Expedition

Turtledove, Harry  / A Different Flesh  (Homo erectus colonization of N
America)

Waldo, Anna Lee  /  Sacajewa

Mesoamerica

Card, Orson Scott  / Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus
(1997)

de Villagrá, Gaspar Pérez  / La Historía de Nuevo México  (translated by
Miguel Encinias et al.)

Jennings, Gary  / Azteca

Peters, Daniel  / The Luck of Huemac

Peters, Daniel  / Tikal

South America

Llosa, Mario Vargas  / The Storyteller

Peters, Daniel  / Incas

Pacific

Michener, James  / Hawaii

Stevenson, Robert Louis  / The Beach of Falesá

Australia

**Keneally, Thomas  / The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith (film and book)

Marshall, James Vance  / Walkabout

Thiele, Colin  / Storm Boy

Author currently unknown  / We of the Never Never

Africa

**Achebe, Chinua  / Things Fall Apart

Boateng, Yaw M.  / The Return

**Coetzee, J. M.  / Dusklands

Coetzee, J. M.  / Waiting for the Barbarians

**Conrad, Joseph  / Heart of Darkness

Dunn, Ross  / The Adventures of Ibn Battuta

Gordimer, Natalie  /  titles?

Haggard, H. R.  / She

Kingsley, Mary  / Travels in West Africa

Kingsolver, Barbara  / The Poisonwood Bible

Stanley, Henry Morton  / In Darkest Africa

India

Dunn, Ross  / The Adventures of Ibn Battuta

Forrester, E. M.  / A Passage to India

Kipling, Rudyard  / Plain Tales from the Hills
"Miss Youghal's Sais"
                "The Bronckhorst Divorce-Case"
                "Tod's Amendment"

Kipling, Rudyard  / Kim

Wiser, William and Charlotte Wisner  / Behind Mud Walls

Europe

Durham, Edith  / In High Albania

Rutherford, Edward  / London

Rutherford, Edward  / Sarum

Rutherford, Edward  / The Forest

Science Fiction

Card, Orson Scott  / Speaker for the Dead

Cherryh, C. J.  / Foreigner: A Novel of First Contact

Elgin, Suzette  / Native Tongue

Kurten, Bjorn  / Dance of the Tiger  (early humans)

LeGuin, Ursula K.  / Left Hand of Darkness

LeGuin, Ursula K.  / Rocannon's World

Wells, H. G.  / War of the Worlds

Non-Fiction Noteworthy Mentions

Broker, Ignatia  / Night Flying Woman: An Ojibway Narrative  (North America,
non-fiction narrative)

Hochschild, Adam  / King Leopold's Ghost  (Africa, non-fiction)

MOVIES

North America

"1492, Conquest of Paradise"

**  "Black Robe"

"Dances with Wolves"

"The Education of Little Tree"

"Geronimo"

"The Last of the Mohicans" (1936 and 1992)

"Son of the Morning Star"

Central/South America

"Cabeza De Vaca"

** "The Mission"