HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alicia Valentino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 21:35:02 -0500
I am analyzing the artifact assemblage from a late 19th century hotel in an
Iron Smelting Complex, and cannot identify one of the artifacts.  The
artifact was found in the builders trench of the hotel.  There are 58 of
these rubber artifacts.  It is a rubber disc with a diameter of 1 1/2cm and
thickness of 1/2cm.  There is a metal wire stapled through one side and
curled perpendicularly on the other side, embedded back into the artifact.
Also, there was a thin piece of canvas on either side of the disc through
which the metal wire passed.  Originally it was thought to be an electrical
insulator or battery part, other suggestions label it as a fastener;
however, I cannot find any information to verify those possibilities.  Any
help would be much appreciated, and I can email a picture of the artifact if
you think you can help.  You can reply off-list and I will post a summary
afterward.
Thank you in advance,

Alicia B. Valentino
Graduate Student
Industrial Archaeology

Michigan Technological University
Department of Social Sciences
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, Michigan 49931
work: (906) 487-2648
email: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]