From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:43:57 -0700
Bert Bailey wrote:

>I'm puzzled by the criteria for inclusion in this series.

I assume you mean the 100-volume set from Philips.  You are not the first
to be curious about the criteria, though in general they did a pretty good
job overall I think.  The sheer size of the thing helped ensure scope.

>Specifically: why isn't Marc-Andre Hamelin (b.  1961) represented?

Though one can never discount the power of politics in such things, in
the specific case of the omission of Hamelin, I suspect it had may have
been primarily about licensing.  The project, a joint undertaking between
Steinway & Sons and Philips, was able to do extensive cross-licensing of
material on other major labels.  Obviously, getting material from Universal
labels (such as London, DG, etc.) should not have been much of a problem,
but I believe they included material from other majors as well, such as EMI
and RCA.  I don't believe they had similar agreements with independent
labels.  Hamelin has recorded for Hyperion, Isba, Helicon, New World, Fleur
De Lys, Altarus, SNE, Music & Arts, and probably a few others I've
missed.  This is far outside the scope of the labels involved.

>A musiclover from this list guessed it's because he's too young.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was also a factor.  As you point out they
did include Kissin (Sony & RCA) and Pletnev (DG, EMI & Virgin), but that's
probably because their recordings were more easily available.  Then Kissin
and Pletnev probably have a much larger fan base too.  And, of course,
Hamelin's is not a Russian pianist, so that's another mark against him
right there. :-)

>Also, would anyone recommend their favourite(s) in this series for me?

I suppose that depends on where your interests lie.  Among many others,
the two John Ogdon volumes are perhaps necessities.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/