From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 17:03:29 -0500
Mats Norrman replies to Mike Leghorn

>>It's mysteriously trivial for such a serious quartet.
>
>Too many times you say exactly to the point what is right but seemingly you
>don't know at all you do.  The rest of your "study" is not worth replying
>to at all.

I'm not sure what this means, but is sounds unnecessarily harsh.  After all
I didn't say anything offensive or disrespectful -- I was just sharing some
ideas, and inviting you to explore them with me.

>When I hear how this Beethovens Scherzo movement just dances when The
>Emerson Quartet plays it, I think they come very close to Beethovens soul.
>(At least significantly closer then an analysis of the structure of motives
>in op.132).

No doubt, experiencing musical performance gets you much closer to the
composer's soul than reading someone's ideas about the music.  However,
I think that ideas that we get from listening to and studying music can
help us understand the music even better.  I certainly wasn't offering
my "analysis" as a substitute for listing.  (I feel funny calling it an
analysis anyway, because I don't consider myself qualified to offer a
formal analysis -- I just like to share my ideas -- even the crazy ones.)

Mike