From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:02:39 +0200
Yesterday I put on my record-company-executive hat, switched on my personal
computer, and produced myself a CD which today can be purchased anywhere in
the world.  That easy.

The disc, entitled "An American in Barcelona," includes the world
premiere recording of the Sonata for Cello and Piano by Lluis Benejam
(1914-1968).  A composer and accomplished instrumentalist, Benejam could
be called "A Catalan in America" since he lived for most of his adult life
in Birmingham, Alabama where he was concertmaster of the Birmingham
Orchestra and professor of composition at the University.

The CD also includes "El Cant dels Ocells," the traditional Catalan
(Catalonian) melody made famous by Pablo Casals, a movement called Chant
Elegiaque by D'Indy (who is not Catalan but I performed it with two very
fine Catalan musicians so it sort of fits) and a short improvisation that
doesn't have anything to do with Barcelona but I liked it as a little
encore.

The CD includes some nifty, if I do say so myself, artwork, including
paintings of Barcelona done by my wife Julia Volodina.  (more of who's
work you can see at

   http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_images/333/tramuntana.html

All this made possible by mp3.com, one of the greatest resources a
musician could ask for.  Press a few buttons and you've made a CD. Want
some exposure and to have your performances heard? My Serafino Trio site
has had more than 35,000 downloads.  I still find it incredible.

The CD is made from mp3 files so the sound quality is not the same as a
store-bought CD, but on the other hand you can't buy this CD in stores,
so there you are.

Another thing is you can try before you buy.  Listen to the whole CD if
you want.  In fact, you don't even have to buy the CD at all!  Just go
listen.  It's free.  But if you want to see the nifty artwork, read the
liner notes and have a real physical CD to add to your collection, plus
earn my everlasting gratitude, you can help my very own record label
compete with DG.

Mp3 artists, btw, receive about 40% of the list price of the CD, some 30%
more than the usual going rate for other record labels.  Other than that I
have no affiliation whatsoever with mp3.com other than being a loyal
supporter.

   http://mp3.com/DavidRunnion

Dave Runnion
Mallorca, Spain