From:
"Richard A. Ujvary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:58:47 -0500
A fine exposition heavy on the analysis which leads me to say though that
I tend to agree with the composer Allen Shawn who writes in today's WSJ
on Schoenberg that "an analytical account will tell us nothing about this
music if we have not already grasped it intuitively as we do any other
music at first hearing".  Shawn seems to want listeners to have a more
"superficial", i.e non-analytical approach to the music.  He's a fan so
maybe he's onto something not only for Schoenberg but for other atonal
music.

Rich