Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 17:21:29 -0700
From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Tony Duggan wrote:

>However, you are wrong.  Mahler never finished his Tenth Symphony.  He left
>a lot of material from which a number of people have constructed performing
>editions but, most definitely, Mahler did not finish his Tenth Symphony.
>Had he lived he would have, probably.

According to Deryk Cooke, - Mahler left the symphony in various stages of
completion, but the composition continues to the very end.  Sometimes it
is a single line, but there are no gaps, and the piece does not just stop
as - for instance - the last movemont of Bruckner's 9th does.  For the
Bruckner 9th, his sketches were worked up to 'complete' the final movemont.
Mahler wrote out the 10th to the end.  What Cooke did was to fill out
texture as required - even writing necessary harmony and counterpoint.

The first movemont is in draft full score
The 2nd movemont - Scherzo is in full score sketch
The 3rd is in full score
the 4th and 5th are in short score with some hints of orchestration.
Both sections are fully formed and convincing structually.

I spoke to Cook in 1964 and it was his opinion that Mahler did complete
a first version of the symphony.  Cooke felt the form was essentially set
- Mahler would have retained the 5 movemont form if he had gone through his
usual changing and revising method of composition.  In copying the score
by hand for the BBC program that first presented previously unperformed
sections of the 10th, Cooke became convinced that the symphony was
essentially complete for the stage of composition it was in, and can
stand alone as it is.

Dave Harman
El Paso, TX