Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:39:44 EST
From:
Mark Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I am interested in exploring the music of Mahler.  I have heard a couple of
>his symphony's and have been very impressed.  Could someone point me in the
>direction of some of the "must have" interpretations of his symphonys.

M1: Bernstein/Concertgebouw  Haitink/Berlin Philharmnic  Abbado Chicago
Symphony Orchestra (I prefer the Bernstein)

M2: Rattle/CBSO  Gielen/SWR Symph. Orch  (both very different performances)

M3: (all are wonderful, but the Gielen brings out some detail that the others
don't) Bernstein/NYPO/Soloist & Chorus
Gielen/SWR Symphony Orchestra/Soloists & Chorus
Jarvi/Royal Scottish Orch/Soloist & Chorus
Litton/Dallas Symphony Orch/Soloist & Chorus
Salonen/L A Philharmonic/Soloists & Chorus
Solti/C.S.O./Dernesch/Soloists & Chorus

M4: Cond/Orch/Soloist(s)
Chailly/Concertgebouw/Bonney
Gatti/Royal Philharmonic Orcestra/Ziesak
Haitink/Concertgebouw/Alexander
Maazel/Vienna Phil./Battle
Mengelberg/Concertgebouw/Vincent
Salonen/L.A. Phil./Battle
Wit/Polish Nat. Rad. Orch./Russell
All wonderful both for performance & sound

M6: Bernstein & Hvon Karajan: I really can't tell much difference

M7:Cond/Orch/Soloist(s)
Bernstein/NY Philharmonic
Haitink/Concertgebouw Orchestra
Levine/Chicago Symph Orchestra

M8: Cond/Orch/Soloist(s)
Chailly/Concertgebouw/Soloists & Chorus
Shaw/Atlanta/Chorus/Soloists
Sinopoli/Philharmonia/Soloists
Solti/Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Soloists & Chorus
Tennstedt/L P O/Soloists/Choir
My favorite is the Shaw on Telarc followed by the Sinopoli.  The Tennstedt is
dull, and the sound on the Chailly sounds artificial.  The Solti is also very
good, very energetic and the sound doesn't show it's age at all.

M9:Cond/Orch/Soloist(s)
Bernstein/BPO
Karajan/Berlin Phil.
Favorite is the Bernstein.  I feel that he brings out more in the 4th
movement than the Herbie.

M10: Cond/Orch/Soloist(s)
Chailly/R S O Berlin
Lopez-Cobos/Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
Rattle/Berlin Philharmonic
Rattle/Bournemouth Symphony
Preference is for the Chailly.  I know that the Rattle/BPO won Gramophone's
record of the year award, but the sound is very congested.  The Chailly is
very fine and in great sound.  Also, the earlier Rattle with the CBSO is in
fine sound.

Mark Zimmerman