Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:22:48 -0400
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
   Johann Sebastian Bach(1685-1750)
         Solo Keyboard Works

Chromatic Fantasia & Fugue in D minor BWV 903
Italian Concerto BWV 971
French Suites BWV 812 & 813

Naxos 8.550709 - Recorded 1991
Wolfgang Rubsam, Piano
TT 55:24

Summary for the Skeptical Collector: Take the plunge

Over the years, Naxos has been using the services of Wolfgang Rubsam for
the majority of its solo keyboard Bach recordings.  As I remember, the
reviews have not been particularly kind to Rubsam.  Dave Lampson recently
referred to Rubsam's performances as "workmanlike", and that opinion seems
to cover the feelings of most reviewers.  However, Naxos discs are so
inexpensive that I thought I'd pick up a few of Bach/Rubsam on piano.  In
addition to the disc cited above, I'll be reviewing three other Rubsam
issues in future postings.

I'll first address the sound quality of the disc at hand.  The sound
is low on bass response and richness.  Appropriate adjustments of the
audio controls help alleviate the situation; use of an equalizer totally
eliminates the problem without creating any negatives.  Given the success
of the adjustment routine, I don't have any complaints about the recorded
sound.

The French Suite BWV 812 provides a fine example of Rubsam's style.  I
compared his version to the one from Gavrilov on his EMI set of the French
Suites, and the differences are pronounced.  Gavrilov places high priority
on forward momentum except in the Sarabande where his very slow pacing adds
to the depth of his lovely reading.  Gavrilov does not allow the emphasis
on momentum to detract from the tenderness and emotional themes.  Still,
he stays on the main road and always looks forward.  In contrast, Rubsam
is not concerned at all with a so-called main road; he alters dynamics,
accenting, rhythm, and tempo based on what I assume to be a thorough
analysis of the music.  Rubsam sounds rather spontaneous and quite good.
Being a 'momentum' man, I do prefer the Gavrilov performance but am
impressed with Rubsam.  His playing is not ordinary nor mainstream.  It's
distinctive and very enjoyable and enlightening.  It could even be that
Rubsam would have more lasting power than Gavrilov because of the greater
variety.

For Rubsam's French Suite BWV 813, my comparison was the excellent Angela
Hewitt version on her Hyperion set of the French Suites.  Again, Rubsam is
less seamless and more varied than most alternatives.  I like Rubsam's C
minor performance even more than his D minor; the Allemande is played ever
so slow and frequently tugs at the heart.  Actually, my only reservation
concerning Rubsam's readings of the two Suites is that I would have liked
significantly stronger projection in the second part of both Menuets.
Other than that, these are very pleasureable interpretations.

The Italian Concerto is a more demonstrative and stronger work than either
of the French Suites.  Rubsam didn't show any inclination for strong volume
in his readings of the Suites; does he make the adjustments for the first
and third movements of the Italian Concerto? No problem.  Rubsam is
sufficiently strong in the first movement while maintaining his regimen of
horizontal expressiveness.  It's in the third movement where Rubsam really
lets his hair down and provides one exciting reading loaded with momentum;
this is as good a performance as Hewitt's, Gould's, or any other pianist's.
I do have a reservation about the second movement.  Rubsam's right hand
playing is wonderful, but he uses a slight and soft staccato throughout in
the lower registers which I feel reduces the level of conversation in the
movement.  For a magical Andante, look no further than Hewitt on her DG
Bach recital disc.  Overall, this is another fine accomplishment for
Rubsam.

The remaining work on the disc is the Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue in D
minor.  This famous Bach composition requires even more strength than the
Italian Concerto; it also gives the performer a host of opportunites for a
wide range of interpretive flexiblilty.  Rubsam meets all challenges with
a strong reading of fine expressiveness; my only qualm is that I thought
that would be a little more imaginative.

Don's Conclusions:  This is a very fine set of performances from Wolfgang
Rubsam.  They are highly expressive and distinctive, particularly in the
two French Suites.  The readings are a little on the romantic side from
time to time but not enough to reduce the rewards of the listening
experience.  Further, it's great to have one or more special performances
on a recording, and Rubsam gives us two in the Allemande from the C minor
French Suite and the third movement of the Italian Concerto.  I think the
disc would make a fine addition to anyone's library at premium price.
Given the Naxos price, there's no reason to hesitate.

Don Satz