From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:50:44 -0800
Peter Wisse ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Joel Hill wrote:
>
>>Peter Wisse mentioned Hough as a possible 3rd Pianist.
>
>Hough is good, but I would definitely include Donohoe.  His Litolff
>recordings for Hyperion's Romantic Concerto series are great.  I agree
>with Joel.  Donahoe is very good.  ...  But there are so many excellent
>Brittish pianists at the moment,: Shelley, Donahoe, Lill, Binns, Judd,
>Coombs, Lane!!  But I stick to Hough as my third choice, sorry Joel, listen
>to his recent Saint-Saens 4th pianoconcerto, and his Hummel concertos, not
>to forget the Scharwenka 4

Not to mention Donohoe's Busoni Concerto which, for me, is the finest
recording of them all.

I'd agree, though, that Hough falls more into the supervirtuoso class -
certainly from his choice of repertoire.  I heard him give a stunning
Rachmaninov 3 here a few years ago.

deryk barker
([log in to unmask], http://www.camosun.bc.ca/~dbarker)