HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Gibb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 13:46:17 -0400
Linda,
Quite right...all of the bottles were broken, hence of no value to the people who put them into the pit. Whole, they would have had cash or barter value. They come from an oval pit measuring approximately 4.8 ft and 3.8 ft along its major and minor axes. Most of the material came from a thin stratum (.25 ft), with lesser quantities (mostly some glass sherds and nails) from an underlying stratum (aprx. 1.2 ft below cellar floor grade). The pit had near vertical sides. It was located near the southwest corner of the cellar. An adjoining pit was quite shallow and about one-foot square: it yielded a bottle base, a brass keg tap, and some bone.

The bottles are early 19th-century, occur as large sherds intermixed with some faunal remains, colorless glass vessel fragments, nails, and some bricks. The soil matrix in both pits appeared to have formed around the sherds and likely originated in the surrounding floor deposits. There is no clear evidence of a wood floor, but we did recover a fair number of badly rusted nails and it is possible that such a floor might have been removed during an early to mid-19th century renovation.

The cellar almost certainly was used to store and decant wine, and the filling of the pit must have occurred after the building was constructed and in use. Several correspondents have suggested an abandoned cooling or drainage pit (the underling sand is quite porous), and both are reasonable suggestions. Of course, neither explains why the trash wound up in the pits. One might argue that someone picked up broken wine bottles in the cellar and placed them in the hole to promote drainage and/or to clean up the mess, but what are faunal remains, two tumblers, and a glass dessert cup doing in the cellar?

As soon as I get the chance, I will bang out a brief piece for Maryland Archeology that I can then distribute more widely. The technical report is too unwieldy to conveniently share.

Jim