HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 17:48:11 -0400
Eleanor,

In our excavations at a brick factory in PA, we found similar thermal
alteration to what Will Updike described at his site. In some places, the
thermal alteration went at least 2 meters deep ( we never found out where it
stopped due to safety concerns!). We did dismantle the ashbox of a kiln
furnace, and there was almost no thermal alteration at all in the soil below
the brick floor of the ashbox. The ashboxes were about 40-50 cm deep if I
remember right, and the brick floors were no more than 7.5 cm thick. Subsoil
was clay. Hope that helps.

regards,
Andrew R. Sewell, MS, RPA
Principal Investigator