HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eleanor Breen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:06:19 -0700
Hello Histarchers: I have a question about
heat-altered or fire-reddening of subsoil.  At a site
where the floor level is know, in your experience,
what is the distance between heat source (hearth,
etc.) and the discolored soil?  In other words, how
far above grade can the heat source/floor level be and
still have fire reddening of the soil?  Does the
presence of brick lining the heat source transmit heat
better, thereby causing more extensive soil reddening?
 We are interested in both the depth and horizontal
extent of the heat alteration.  We are trying to
figure out if distance between floor surface and
heat-altered subsoil can be inferred by the extent of
soil reddening.

Thanks, Eleanor Breen

Assistant Archaeologist
Historic Mount Vernon