HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gary Vines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:57:48 +1100
The Wunderlich terracotta works in Melbourne had two systems for drying green clay tiles. The first involved underfloor flues from the downdraft kilns (i.e. a hot floor), but was only successful while production was small and the drying sheds could be kept close to the kilns. They later employed overhead metal flues using extraction fans to draw hot air out of the kilns after firing had been completed.

I have seen other references to forced air drying using waste heat from kilns in Melbourne Potteries and brickworks, but there is no surviving example of a hot floor system that I know of in Australia.

Gary Vines
Archaeologist
mobile: 0428 526 898
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Biosis Research Pty. Ltd.
Natural and Cultural Heritage Consultants
322 Bay Street (PO Box 489)
Port Melbourne Vic 3207
ph: (03) 9646 9499
fax: (03) 9646 9242