HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:17:36 -0700
or colorless, if that is more proper.  (??)    I have read that chemicals
weren't added till "whenever" (dont remember the date now)...to clear the
"aquaness"...or remove the green/blue tinge...so people could see the
product inside without alteration by the color of the glass.  So...it would
stand to reason that fewer clear bottles (or in most cases, frags) would be
found on sites that date to the early part of this transition...or prior (duh).

But...my question is...what about drinking glasses...tumblers??  Were they
comonly made clear before bottles were?

In our collection...there seem to be very few colorless bottle frags (but
some of a neat six-sided embossed bottle of J M Farina cologne !!)...but
the uniformly curved and smooth frags I am finding...appear to match
the  weathering iridescence found in the rim frags of the 15 or so drinking
glasses in the collection....so I am leaning towards making the majority of
these non-diagnostic frags glasses.

Is there a name for the wavy, meandering lines that show up in the
iridescent colors of weathered glass?  These actually are helpful in
piecing frags together since I can link the squiggles/waves.  :o)

Anyway....anyone know if tumblers (and I'm not refering to recycled jelly
jars since there are no vertical lines [oops forgot the term...crimp
lines??] below the rims) were made "clear" yrs before bottles were?  Have a
reference?

Also have a very thick based, grayish tinted glass...flat-based item...3
1/4" in dia....with a scuffed rim on the bottom.  Since the base is
flat...(and there are no seams)...it must be a large tumbler...??  or plain
vase?   The body walls thin pretty rapidly above the thick base.    Doesn't
look like any bottle base I have seen.  Unfortunately this collection has
very few bottle bases....all are of 'wine'...with kickups.

Were drinking glasses made in a mold...and the seams buffed off?

Thanks for any help.  :o)

Carol (who needs to go home for the night!)