HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:41:31 -0700
Friends and colleagues: Perhaps surprisingly, complex human cultures have
been known to develop in non-agricultural economies.  An excellent example
of this phenomenon is the famous prehistoric North American site of Poverty
Point, described in Poverty Point Earthworks: Evolutionary Milestones of the
Americas, the latest video featured on our public education website, The
Archaeology Channel (www.archaeologychannel.org).

The discovery of this site in northeastern Louisiana opened a new window on
ancient America and eventually led scientists to uncover new evidence of a
highly developed ancient American culture in the lower Mississippi delta
between 1730 and 1350 B.C.  At the heart of the site is one of the largest
native constructions in eastern North America, earthworks that are the
oldest of their size in the Western Hemisphere.  This video tells the story
of the ancient American hunter-gatherers who lived in a sophisticated and
highly organized community we now call Poverty Point.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  If
you feel that this project is a worthy endeavor, please participate in our
Membership (http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.html) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance this nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported service.  We also welcome new content partners as we reach
out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested and let us know
if you wish to be removed from our mailing list.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org