HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Houghton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 13:37:33 -0500
We examined the sherds with shortwave UV (per James H. Mathews' web site
which no longer seems to be available on line) and determined that they
are consistent with pearlware.  (The glaze on the rim sherd has a very
light blue tint at the edges.)
http://sunflower.com/~setzer/floralrim2.jpg

From the little bit of information I've been able to track down, it
appears that the ware was produced both in the early 1800's:
http://www2002.stoke.gov.uk/museums/pmag/ceramics/collections/wood/pots/ironstone1a.htm
and in the late 1800's in porcelain.  Many of the pieces on ebay appear
to be of the later type, thin and translucent.  I'm still looking for
any published references to the ware and have only found the 1880's
version in some antique price guides.

Thanks for all the information, it helped us track this stuff down.
Susan

Susan Houghton
Laboratory Supervisor
Cultural Resources