HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 10:18:51 -0500
I've had trouble understanding this (and several other arguments), and about
a month ago I had asked my local group of anthro grad students if anyone
knew of other examples where the old "imperial" (sinister connotations
there, too?) system was still in place - I can only see non-metrification as
hurting the US economy, since that means american stuff can't be exported to
the rest of the world... Similarly, no one else wants to buy gas-guzzling
american SUVs...
Now, I don't want to see this descend into some kind of
ideological/political debate here on the revered pages of histarch, but this
does sort of remind me of a lot of the assumptions we make as archaeologists
about what is the most "logical" or economical or otherwise best strategy
for exploiting resources or building widgets or... Whatever...
But obviously that isn't always the case, and the reasons people have for
doing things are not always the most "rational" - then we build
rational-sounding "just so" stories to support our conclusions... I'm sort
of reminded of durkheim's assumption that societies were inherently
conservative and resistant to change receiving "scientific support" from the
first law of thermodynamics sometime back in the 50s or 60s, despite thomas
malthus, darwin, and all other evidence to the contrary...
My personal opinion is that we tend only to give lip service to the idea of
uniformitarianism, and give our elegantly modelled theories precedence over
projecting what we know about the present into the past...
You can imagine that if it was just liberia that the chinese wouldn't bother
tooling up their factories to produce two sets of product: imperial and
metric...

geoff carver - SUNY buffalo
http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~gjcarver/
"The rocket bombs which fell on London were probably fired by the Government
of Oceania itself, 'just to keep the people frightened.'" Orwell, 1984.