HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Old Town <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:27:24 -0500
Toronto, Ontario

November 14, 2002

Dear Histarchers

We are writing to you because we believe you would want to hear about the
opportunity to return to public hands one of this province's extremely
valuable legacies in Toronto, Canada.  A recent decision by the Ontario
Municipal Board (OMB) provides us with a short window of opportunity for the
future of the site of Upper Canada's First Parliament Buildings at the
corners of Front and Parliament Streets to be saved from becoming a Porsche
dealership. We have until December 1st  to convince the Ontario government
to demonstrate leadership by securing this site for future public use and we
need for your help.

Since the OMB decision on August 26th, 2002 several community groups led by
Heritage Toronto and its partners, Citizens for the Old Town and SEDERI,
have been receiving massive amounts of input from the general public to
develop a common vision for the site.  Our efforts have included an options
charette that brought together representatives from all levels of
government, heritage organizations, the building and development industry,
academics, volunteer neighbourhood organizations and others.  A summary of
their deliberations and conclusions is enclosed to inform your response. A
complete copy of the report is available from Heritage Toronto.

We have also held a public meeting in mid-October that attracted almost 300
individuals so that we could include these opinions in our efforts to
convince the provincial government of the need for action.

Hopefully, you will be convinced to take action as well.  We believe that
the justice of our appeal is shown by the enclosures and demonstrated by the
wide-reaching public support for the vision.  However, we invite you to
contact Ernest Buchner, Executive Director of Heritage Toronto,
[log in to unmask] (416-338-0650) with any questions you may have
about our effort.

Please contact the Premier of Ontario, Ernie Eves, the Minister of Culture
David Tsubouchi, and Mayor of Toronto Mel Lastman about your belief.
Contact information is provided here below.

Please contact them today your  Member of the Provincial Parliament (MPP),
Member of Parliament (MP) if you live in Canada and your local Toronto
Councillor if you live in Toronto.  Tell them that you believe the site of
Ontario's First Parliament Buildings must be returned to public hands for
the benefit of all. Ask them to speak with the Premier, Ernie Eves and the
Minister of Culture, David Tsubouchi, about your belief.  Your voice will
not be alone. Please contact any or all of the following people with your
support for our vision for the First Parliament Site:

For complete information about the  history and archaeology of the First
Parliament Buildings of Upper Canada go to the website
www.firstparliament.ca and  the "get involved" section in www.oldtoronto.ca

Yours Sincerely,

Peter Carruthers
Chair, Heritage Toronto