HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sue Henry Renaud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 13:53:46 -0500
For all of you waiting for me to report vack, sorry for the delay -- I've
had trouble locating my copy of the report on this project.  I was,
however, able to locate a marked-up draft, so I can give you a little bit
of information.

The report on the historic component of this project is entitled  "Part II.
Historical Archaeology of a Mixed Commercial-Residential-Industrial Sector"
(co-authored by Susan L. Henry, Kathleen S. Hoffman, Frank Ritz, and
Jeanette A. McKenna). The title of the full report (which also discusses
the prehistoric component of the project) is:

      The City of Phoenix: Archaeology of the Original Phoenix Townsite,
The North Half of Block 28,edited by John S. Cable, Susan L. Henry, and
David E. Doyel.   Report prepared for the City of Phoenix, Central Phoenix
Redevelopment Agency by Soil Systems, Inc., Phoenix, Arizona, 1983.

Obviously, I'm not able to locate my copy to make copies for anyone, but
Soil Systems is still in business in Phoenix, and perhaps they can provide
a copy -- contact Cory Dale Breternitz, Soil Systems Inc, 1121 North 2nd
Street, Phoenix, AZ 85004-1862 ([log in to unmask]).  I got this information
from the ACRA member list, so if it needs updating, perhaps someone can
share the proper information.

I was unable to find the exact information that Bob Schuyler originally
requested, but I did abstract out some information that you all might find
interesting.  Unfortunately, my mark-up draft did not contain the
bibliography, so I'm not able to provide citations today.

The Phoenix Bottling Works was in operation by 1884 and went out of
business in 1939 due to financial difficulties.  There is archaeological
evidence for its operations on Block 28 from 1910 to 1939.  Archival
evidence was particularly interesting, and included interior photos of the
bottling works, showing machinery used to seal bottles using the Hutchinson
stopper (stopper 1879-1912) and a foot-powered syruper-crowner that filled
and sealed bottles with the crown cap.  The crown cap was patented in 1892
and was widely used after 1897.  It, however, required a standardized
bottle shape to ensure a tight seal, and specialized sealing machines were
developed.  This encouraged the use of semi- and fully automatic bottle
machines by 1907 (Owens fully automatic was patented in 1903).

The cistern I mentioned in my previous message was called a septic tank in
the report -- it was obviously used as a drain mechanism for the large
amounts of water used in the bottling works.  Based on the artifact
analysis and archival research, the feature was filled in between 1925 and
1930.  It contained materials related to the industrial operations of
bottling:  stoneware crock and lid fragments (Red Wing, MN 1878-1892; syrup
mixing & storage); barrel hoops (syrup container for filling bottles);
miscellaneous machinery parts, including a brass pressure gauge face);
Hutchinson stoppers; crown caps; and many, many, many glass bottles

Forty percent of the Phoenix Bottling Works (PBW) bottles were hand-blown
in a 4- or 2-part, cup-bottom mold (a few post-bottom), with a circular
slug plate, with crown neck (a few soda) finished by hand.  The remainder
were machine made in a 2-part post-bottom (a few cup-bottom) mold with
circular slug plate (a few rectangular), with crown finish.  The slug plate
was used until about 1915 when paper labels became more common.  Many of
the alchohol bottles still retained their original paper labels.

The majority of the bottles recovered from the PBW property were PBW
bottles and Hires root beer bottles that PBW bottled by franchise
(1912-1913).  Others included:

Soda Bottles
Arizona Bottling Works, Phoenix (1898-1928
Bludwine Bottling Company (dates unknown)
Coca-Cola Bottling Works, Phoenxi (1905-1928)
Eagle Bottling Works, Phoenix (1914-1920)
Salt River Bottling Works, Phoenix (1911)
Sanitary Soda Water Company, Phoenix (1911-1915)
Orange Crush, Coca-Cola, etc, Southwestern Coca-Cola Bottling Company,
Phoenix (1918-1948)
Standard Bottling Works, Tempe, AZ (1917-1941)

Coles English Ginger Ale, Pasadena, CA (1902-1930)
H.E. Molen Soda Works, Stockton, CA (no dates)
Livitti Distilled Water, Pasadena, CA (1902-1930)
Los Angeles Ice and Cold Storage, Los Angeles, CA (1902-1930)
O.K. Bottling Works, Ontario, CA (no dates)
Oroville Soda Works, Oroville, CA (no dates)
Western Soda Works, Portland, OR (1902-1915)

Appollinaris Mineral Water, London, England (ca. 1885?)
English Aromatic Ginger Ale, England (1901-1952)
Andreas Saxlehner's Hunyadi Janos Bitterquelle [mineral water], Budapest,
Hungary (1883-1900)
Schwepp's Sarsaparilla, Canada (1905-1937)
Miscellaneous English soda bottle manufacturers (1844-1937)

Beer
Adolphus Busch Glass Bottle Mfg. Co., Belleville, IL (1904-1907)
William Franzen & Son (bottle mfg), Milwaukee, WI (1900-1929)
Hudepohl Brewing Co., Cincinnatti, OH
Root Glass Co., Terre Haute, IN (1901-1932)
Streator Bottle & Glass Co., Streator, IL (1881-1905)
The Peoples Brewing Co., Terre Haute, IN (1885-1930)
Blatz Beer, Milwaukee, WI (1903-1929)

Wine
Italian Swiss Colony Tipo Red, Asti, CA (1906+) [round-bottom encased in
basket]
American Wines, Garrett & Co, Norfolk, VA & St. Louis, MO (1990-1913)
Cresta Blanca, Bowen Co., Livermore, CA (1906+)
Veuve Clicquot Dry, France
Fratelli Branca, Milan, Italy (1866+)
Moselblum, Coblenz, Germany (pre-1914)
Ruby Cliff Sparkling Wine, Ruby Cliff Distributing Co., San Francisco, CA
Betts & Co. (wine agent), Paris, France
Chateau La Fitte Grand Vin, France

Champagne
G.H. Mumm Extra Dry, Reims, France (1881+)
G.H. Mumm Cordon Rouge, Reims, France
Golden State Champagne, California

Liguor
Gordon's Dry Gin, London, England (1850-1913)
A. Van Hoboken & Co., Gin, Rotterdam, Netherlands (1848-1897)
Old Bushmill's Whiskey, County Antrim, Ireland (1875-1913)
Plymnouth Gin, Coates & Co., Plymouth, England
Old Scotch Whiskey, Glasgow, Scotland
Jamaica Rum, Gordon & Co., London, England

Liqueur
Benedictine Brandy, Alexandre LeGrand, France (1867-1919)
Creme de Menthe (1906+)
Royal Arms Sloe Gin, U.S.A. (1906+)

Bitters
Angostura Bitters, Dr. J.G.B. Siegert & Hijos, Venezuela & Trinidad (1830+)
Fernet-Branca Bitters, Marie, Brizard & Roger, Bordeaux, France
Lash's Kidney & Liver Bitters, U.S.A.

Condiments & Miscellaneous
Cherry bottles
Olive bottles
Shot glasses
Drinking tumblers
Drinking goblets
Glazed stoneware ale bottles
Chinese rice wine jar

I hope you've found this interesting and helpful.  I wish you luck in
getting a copy of the report -- inter-library loan?

Sue Henry Renaud, RPA