HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
ned heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 06:28:22 -0500
When we were researching a site where catsup was bottled, we found a
newspaper account that remarked on the "hot" nature of the product.
To palates accustomed to Heinz red bland sauce, a reference to catsup
as "hot" was surprising and not a little distressing.

To solve the puzzle, we compared modern and nineteenth-century catsup
recipes. Sure enough, nineteenth-century catsup was a hot sauce, not
a vegetable (as the Reagan Maladministration tried to classify it).
Nineteenth-century catsup bottles resembled the modern ones, but the
product was different. Product recognition through traditional
container shapes is an important marketing concept, but it doesn't
necessarily mean that the product has been constant through time.

This realization led to insertion of catsup recipes in our report on
the Collins Geddes cannery, which was published with a perfectly
straight face by DelDOT.
--
* Democracy is a system of government that   *
* entitles us to be led by alternating packs *