HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl Steen
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:43:49 -0500
3/26/2002 9:53:48 PM, Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Personally, I think of Southern culture as a fluid yet identifiable mix of
>kinship, "race," religion, agriculture and icons -- all topics that have
>been addressed by archaeologists before.  I'm not expecting anyone to define
>a Stanley South-type "Southern Pattern" but I also don't think it is silly
>to wonder if the historical development of this mix of traits might not be
>observed or even understood through the archaeological record.

Linda --

I would point out that South defined the CAROLINA Artifact Pattern. Can't get mch more Southern than that!

Also, if strictly applied to SC Lowcountry assemblages, (that is counting Colonoware in the Activities Group instead of in the Kitchen Group as Garrow and Wheaton did), the resultiung pattern is distinctly
"Southern" -- specifically, distinctly Carolinian. Sites I excavated in Virginia generated a different pattern, for instance. Unfortunately for the rest of the South, Colonoware usage is not universal.

Also, a distinctly Southern artifact one might point to is Alkaline Glazed Stoneware. This was "invented" in SC and spread west with the westward expansion all the way to Texas. It has been referred to as a
cultural horizon marker by Geographer John Winberry.....

Carl Steen

Carl Steen
Archaeologist
The Diachronic Research Foundation