HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
JOAN UNWIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 08:35:01 +0000
Hello, from this side of the pond.  I recently joined histarch - in time
to be completely confused by the descriptions of diet, recipes and
memories of food, some of which I had thought were inedible parts
of skunk or something.
Here in Sheffield, we still manufacture knives, forks and spoons
and our research continues in the recording of  varieties, processes
and development of knives, etc.  Please can I ask all you people
what eating implements you used and what types of food
preparation knives, spoons etc you had.  Were any specific to
eating clams or whatever ? Were any imported from here ?  Do
people have that 'special knive that grandma always used for ...'?
Many thanks.
Joan Unwin
Joan Unwin,
Research Associate,Hawley Project,
University of Sheffield,
c/o ARCUS,
Department of Archaeology and Prehistory,
Westcourt,
2 Mappin Street,
Sheffield, S1 4ET,
England