HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Hyett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:55:44 +1100
From personal recollections of an Australian upbringing

Milk bottles - for the city dwellers- in small towns, milk came in a billy
can

Soft drink (soda) bottles - a good way to earn pocket money, pick up a
couple of bottles through the back fence of the store and take them around
the front to collect the deposit

Beer bottles - in the 1960s in outback Queensland you could still take
empties to the pub and get them refilled

The Raliegh Man - traveled door to door in medicines, food additives (lemon
essence etc) and other items. If I recall rightly he took back the old
bottles, but I may be wrong there.

John