HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 08:56:59 -0500
We recently completed an evaluation of a former military base that is
now mixed military and civilian.  The water system was installed in
1942, with a closed ground-level reservoir and pump house that still
is in use. Out on the field, I found wartime fire hydrants (most
hydrants are dated) still in place in the system. So it developed
that the plumbing of the temporary base is still in place and in use
by the modern civilian/military airport and by surrounding
subdivisions as well.  In our analysis we included the water system
as a contributing element, and not just because the pumphouse  and
reservoir are still there and unchanged.

An important consideration, however, was the fact that the design of
the system was adapted for the peculiar needs of airplane traffic.
That is, the designers did not want a water tower sticking up on the
highest ground on the base. Airfield engineers are funny that way.
--
***************************  Ned Heite  ([log in to unmask])