From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:32:47 -0700
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>Rob Barnett's Musicweb review of a new Naxos CD of Chadwick overtures and
>tone poems prompts a couple of thoughts.
>
>My post about Naxos releases mentioned that this CD was available only
>in the US: its appearance on a UK-based website suggests otherwise.

Especially considering it's not commonly available in the U.S.  yet.  But
Naxos' web site reiterates the "U.S. only" nature of the release.

>I have no recollection of a recording of the first symphony during the CD
>era, and a check of a couple of online outlets found none.  I'd be most
>interested to know of any.

Not only has it not been released on CD, I don't think it's been performed
since it's 1882 premiere.  An article by Steven Ledbetter at the American
Symphony Orchestra site seems to agree:

    http://www.americansymphony.org/dialogues_extensions/97_98season/1st_concert/chadwick.cfm

Let's hope they carry on with a second disc.  At least two of the works
on the new Naxos - Melpomene and Aphrodite - have been recorded multiple
times, but there are others that haven't been recorded at all, or only
very rarely.  Among the orchestral works not yet on CD:

   Overtures: The Miller's Daughter (1892); Adonis (1900); Anniversary (1922)
   Symphonic Poems: Cleopatra (1905)
   Others: Pastorale Prelude (1891); Tabasco March (1899); Theme,
           Variations & Fugue (1908); "Tre Pezzi" (1922)

That looks like at least one and probably two more discs are possible.
If we can get these, and the first symphony, that will do it for the
orchestral music.  All of the chamber music (5 string quartets and a
piano quintet) was once available from Northeastern, but has been ignored
otherwise.  It would be great to get new performances of these works as
well.

And while we're at it, how about some Horatio Parker? There's a symphony
and several overtures, suites, and a symphonic poem yet to be recorded.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/