From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:37:59 +0000

Richard Pennycuick wrote in response:

>Alternatively, it might be a statement of the good taste of the store
>manager....

Franck probably winced in his grave with that comment.  I can assure you
that the store manager knows as much about classical music as I do about
applying facial makeup - 0.

Tim Mahon offers a different alternative:

>Of course, it could just be they had sold out!

I've been going to the Borders store for years, except for a few
months' break when they asked me to leave because I refused to stop looking
through boxes on the floor filled with cd's.  There are never more than two
versions on the shelves; fact is that recordings of the Franck Symphony in
recent years have been meagre.  Franckophiles need to combat this trend,
but I don't know that there are any in existence.

As an aside, I've griped about this before and I'll do it again.  These
chain stores are into lazy ordering - sell product x and order product x.
So, when I bought up all the local Border's Bach organ recordings, they
simply re-stocked the same items.  Now, they sit on the shelves month after
month without any takers.  If the store had re-stocked with different Bach
organ cd's, it would have received another strong financial infusion by
yours truely.  I sincerely believe that a rotational system of obtaining
inventory is a must for classical product.

Don Satz