From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 15:33:30 -0400
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>It's Benedictus, an orchestration by Mackenzie (small "k") of the third of
>his six pieces for violin and piano Op 37, and is to be found on Hyperion
>CDA66764 with some of his other toothsome orchestral music played by the
>BBC Scottish Orchestra under Martyn Brabbins.  The CD runs 75:49, an added
>incentive to buy it.

While we're talking about CD playing times, I'm now going through the 11-CD
set of the Shostakovich symphonies on Brilliant, that I ordered from
Berkshire.  It's hard to complain about a set costing US$1.99 per disk plus
shipping and handling, but...

Symphony No. 12 occupies a CD all by itself using up 37' 07" of playing time.
Symphony No. 14 occupies a CD all by itself using up 45' 38" of playing time.
Symphony No. 15 occupies a CD all by itself, using up 37'54" of playing time.

All other disks have over an hour of playing time, three, over 75 minutes,
one of which (containing Nos.  5 and 6) having over 77 minutes of playing
time.  It would appear then that Brilliant could have saved one disk by
putting Symphonies Nos.  12 and 15 on one CD if they didn't want to split
up No. 14, consisting of 11 short movements, between the two CDs
containing Nos.  12 and 15.

Walter Meyer