From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 01:52:54 +0000
Joel Hill asks of me:

>Are you reviewing the upcoming re-release of Anievas' record from the
>'60's with the Handel Variations and Fugue and the Paganini Variations?

Well, I'm in the process of reviewing different versions of the Handel
Variations and Fugue; at this time, I have no plans to review recordings
of the Paganini Variations.  However, I'd be happy to review the Anievas
version of the Handel Variations.  What label will it be on?

I would like to relate one negative aspect of reviewing the Handel
Variations.  Given my typical review process, the lack of tracks for each
variation is a major pain when it comes to time efficiency.  So many of
the recorded versions only give one track for the work.

I'm also working on some Schumann solo piano reviews and unfortunately am
finding this same problem to a degree.  Just today, I picked up the new
Andras Schiff 2-cd set of Schumann piano works on ECM.  To my chagrin,
there's only one track for the Humoreske.  As it is, my cd players get a
lot of wear and tear with the regimen I use; this one track business just
makes it worse.  My motto is that you can never have too many tracks.

Speaking of Schumann, I'm just amazed at all the great versions of the
Kinderszenen on the market.  I am reviewing ten of them right now and
often find little significant difference among them in terms of listening
enjoyment.  Schnabel's a great Schumann performer in addition to his Brahms
and Beethoven.  Even Peter Katin on Olympia sounds fantastic.

Don Satz