From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 18:17:48 -0800
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Was there a stereo 7 available then? I can't think of one.

I believe Abravanel and the Salt Lake Symphony came out with a Mahler 7th
- I remember buying it.  I can picture the cover with lots of maroon.

It was a great time.  Remember Columbia Records? Man, they issued so much
good stuff!  Not just Bernstein's Mahler series but his Neilsen 3rd, Robert
Craft's Schoenberg series - I still haven't found a recording of his "Suite
for Strings" to match Craft's.  And don't forget Richard Goode and Peter
Serkin's Columbia recording of Busoni's "Fantasia Contrapuntitistica".

You mentioned John Ogden.  Remembr the Angel recording of Ogden's own piano
concerto?

And RCA's recording of Lewenthal playing Alkan's Symphony and Le Festin de
Aesop?

Sure wish they'd put some of those recordings on CD ....

Dave Harman
El Paso, TX