From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 06:34:43 +1100
Steve Schwartz replied to Dave Runnion:

>>Just as you are "listening" to Beethoven's 3rd if it or a fragment of
>>it is playing in your head.
>
>How about recalling the experience in memory? In other words, conjuring
>up the "frame" and the various details in your head?

This ties in with a thread Don Satz started recently to do with
visualising.  If you (in the general sense, not just Steve) hear the Eroica
in your head, do you "see" anything, whether abstract shapes or some other
mental reference, or do you just remember the music without any form of
mental-visual association? If you're remembering a piece of music you've
performed, ie playing it through in your mind - I speak as a non-performer
- do you remember the *sound* of the music, or the notes on the page?

Richard Pennycuick