Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:03:07 +0000
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
David Rothstein writes:

>Should there be a collective & national decision to "shut down" or
>not?  Should the silence be offical or not?

I'm not fond of symbolic gestures which can be quite empty, and offical
silence or the "shut down" approach leads to empty gestures.  I also
find it a rather obnoxious way to go with politicians interfering with
individual responses and/or telling us how we 'should' respond.  The U.S.
Government responded in a military fashion which is at least something an
individual citizen can not do.  Where individuals can handle responses, I
feel that politicians should stay out of the way and show some respect(very
difficult for the typical politician).

As an example, the originator of this thread decided to program classical
music which he felt fit the tragic events.  That's an individual response
and a fine one as well.  Personally, I find that this thread misses the
main thrust - how to insure that we are secure from foreign invasion of
any sort.  The past is just that.  We need to concentrate on control of
our future.

Finally, I can't see how the playing of music shows less respect and
concern for those who died or their remaining family members than a day
of official silence.  What counts most is what's in one's heart, not
whether the tongue is wagging or silent.

Don Satz