Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:08:01 -0400
This is very similar to the configuration of the Golz hive described by
Ahlert.  I can seen bees being less inclined to move towards the back of a
long hive in the cold of the winter but I can see them being more willing to
move sideways.

Waldemar

>>But to a beekeeper with some experience, a long hive can be fun.  For ins=
tance, this past spring, in Kansas, I saw a beekeeper running a two-queen=
 long hive for comb honey production.  He had designed two 10-frame units=
 that sat side by side, with a queen excluder in place of a wall.  Above,=
 with access from each 10-frame unit, were regular Ross Round supers.  To=
 prevent the queens from going up to the supers and then down the "other =
side", he also had a queen excluder under the Ross Round supers.  He clai=
med tremendous production, but it was too early in the season (first week=
 of June) for me to see the results.  This sounds as if it would work.  E=
ach queen had 10 frames for brood, which is more than enough, and the wor=
kers could follow their natural tendency to move up with stores.

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!