From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:26:10 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Max
Watkins <[log in to unmask]> writes
>In trials with beekeepers and bee institutes internationally over the past
>six years we have seen very good varroa control levels using Apiguard alone.
>In cooler areas we have found the efficacy to drop below the 90%+ normal
>levels but never as low as Murray was aluding to.

I have corresponded with Max off list on this subject and would like to
make it clear that I was referring to Thymol as a general treatment
option rather than as formulated in Apiguard. The original question just
asked about thymol, and only mentioned Apiguard as a form available in
Europe. If Max misunderstood what I wrote then others may have done so
too.

I have no reason whatsoever to doubt the figures provided by Max and his
company especially as they have spent a lot of time and money in
developing an effective delivery system, rather than the more hit and
miss ways available before.

>Residues in wax after Apiguard use are generally much lower than using
>thymol alone or other formulations and will dissipate. [Murray the wax you
>had that smelled of thymol was unlikely to be from Apiguard treatment as the
>product was not available then].

This is so. He had been using it for some kind of repellent for wax
moths and the whole lot stank. Years on it still has a residual odour,
and if you scrape the frames for rewaxing it comes out of the wood and
the smell gets stronger again. Certainly seems to have been a misuse
situation and a very costly error on behalf of the guy in question.

>When you've got pyrethroid, coumaphos and other pesticide-resistant mites,
>or prefer greener methods an IPM approach including an Apiguard treatment
>may just save your bees.

I have one unit of 300 colonies being converted to organic for a very
special client. We will try to use Apiguard as ONE of the front line
treatments in this unit, as it IS permissable. If the list wants I will
keep them informed of the progress on that front. The colonies are on a
55000 acre organically certified estate. Honey price very high indeed,
delivery in barrels, so worth trying to comply.
--
Murray McGregor