Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:11:10 EST
Bill,
There are all kinds of niches.  Gift packaging, varietal honeys, honey types
like extracted, comb, creamed, and demonstrations of live bees.

Frankly, I do ALL of them at one given event, and it attracts buyers who pay
high prices per pound.

At my 9 day county FAIR, I have a 8' x12' screened wire cage housing 4
colonies of bees.  Four demonstrations per day where I go in, find the queen,
take her out, show her to the crowd, constantly TALKING about the value of
honey bees to the public due to the pollination they provide, and I do all of
this dressed only in shoes, shorts, Tee-shirt and NO VEIL.  Have not been
stung in several years.  This is done to convince people that Hollywood has
exploited the story of "killer bees".  Next door
to the cage is George's Honey House where my family sells all kinds of
varietal
honeys like eucalyptus, sourwood, buckwheat, tupelo, gallberry, and MARYLAND
honeys: locust, tulip poplar, alfalfa, clover, basswood.  we sell all kinds
of gift packs, sampler packs, comb honey, creamed honey, honey sticks, recipe
books, and jars of different sizes; and my nine day gross sales run
$10,000-$15,000.  My family keeps all the money for their work, and I get all
the THANK YOU's.

YOU DON'T SELL HONEY - YOU SELL YOURSELF AND YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF BEES.  That is
what the public is willing to pay for.

George Imirie