From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 22:25:35 -0700
> ... There is good evidence that the buildup of mites is dependent
> on climate and weather, being more severe in temperate and humid
> areas.

PMFJI.

Although this is not in regard the main thrust of your comments here, Peter,
I should interject that Tucson is not as sub-tropical as we might think.  It
was about freezing at night and cool well into the mornings when I was there
in Jan, and it snowed after I left.

Also it is worth mentioning that Lusbys *twice* lost 90% of their hives (due
to mites they say) on the way to their success, so I think we can rule out
the effects of climate in suppressing both mites -- at least for the most
part.

I'm quoting Dee from a statement in an unrelated communication (about the
costs of doing what they have done): " ...We figure in all honesty that we
had a 90% loss of our stock, TWICE to get where we are, and we were
self-contained without having to purchase outside stock..."

I should add that a neighbouring beekeeper from New Mexico tells the same
story, and is currently achieving the same success -- apparently -- using
Lusby's stock and methods.

FWIW

allen