HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marsha King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:33:36 -0500
While working at the Kansas State Historical Society we recovered intentionally stored/buried jars from two different sites.  Unfortunately, I do not have the reports in front of me, but I can provide some general information:

One instance involved a Kraft mustard jar (not a standard canning jar) that was filled with small trinkets/odds & ends (e.g., buttons, jewelry, advertising top, toys, curtain rings, etc.).  This jar was recovered from a depth of approximately 40 cm in a unit placed in the expected location of a ca 1867 military sink (privy/latrine) shown behind an enlisted barracks on a military plan of Fort Harker (Kanopolis, KS).  The jar and its contents were dated to the 1910-1930 period.  Local residents were intrigued by the find, but no one stepped up to admit having buried the "treasure trove" during their childhood.  I completed the report on Fort Harker for KSHS in 1997, but unfortunately it is out-of-print.

The second instance involved the recovery of several canning jars from a collapsed storm shelter/storage cave associated with a ca 1890s-1940s farmstead in Greenwood Co., KS.  The "cave" was situated a short distance from the farm house/cellarhole and cistern.  The interior of the small cave, which had limestone walls, measured approx. 3 x 8 ft and was approx. 3 ft deep.  From the quantity of stone excavated above the jars, which were sitting on the floor of the cave, it appeared that this cave most probably had been constructed with an arched stone (rather than poured concrete) roof.  The jars were stacked near the center of the cave.  Some were broken/smashed, while several were intact. The seals on at least three of the jars remained intact and the contents were clearly recognizable as preserved green beans, creamed corn, and sauerkraut.  No tests were run on the contents.  Jostling from excavation and transport damaged the seals on these jars and by the time they reached the lab the contents had begun to decay.  Photographs were taken in the field and lab, and the contents (which were by then very fragrant) were eventually discarded.  Without checking the field notes and/or artifact catalog I do not remember the details of these jars.  The report on this site, the Hudson Farmstead (14GR346), has not been completed, but eventually should be available from KSHS.  Unfortunately, since I recently changed jobs I will not be involved in writing this report.

I hope that this information is of some help with your research.  Should you need further information I can check my notes at KSHS.

Marsha

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Marsha K. King
Archeologist II
Environmental Services Section
Bureau of Design
Kansas Department of Transportation
Docking State Office Building, 8th Floor
915 SW Harrison
Topeka, KS   66612-1568
Phone - 785-296-8414
Fax - 785-296-8399