HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
ned heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 07:28:57 -0500
Here we are, sitting in America, criticizing the Taliban, but
forgetting our own history.

Aren't we the nation that sent an army against the Mormons and then
required them to change one of their religious tenets in exchange for
statehood? Aren't we the country that refuses vital aid to health
agencies in nations where certain medical practices are encouraged as
part of family planning?  Aren't we the country that turned back
Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany?

It seems strange to me that we can be so pious about bigotry when we
have people in leadership like Jesse Helms, John Ashcroft, Antonin
Scalia, Rudy Guiliani, and Strom Thurmond. I see little difference
between this Taliban position and McCarthyism, the Red Scare, or most
anything J. Edgar Hoover did.

Let the nation taht is without sin cast the first stone.
--
* Without compost,     *