HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:52:17 -0500
In a message dated 1/22/01 8:01:57 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I find it interesting to see a clear division among the historical
 archaeologists on the list.  There are those who look at this question from
 a perspective that slants towards the scientific, and those with a
 perspective that slants towards the anthropological.  I'm not criticizing
 either perspective, just making an observation.  Equating dowsing to voodoo
 is a great example. >>

While seeking information from fellow archaeologists concerning architectural
concealments of old shoes last year, I received a barrage of emails from
academic archaeologist totally denying any cultural explanation. Then, I
received one or two messages from English and Welsh archaeologists and museum
people and learned there is a 1000 year old tradition of hiding shoes in
chimney hearths to protect the future occupants of said house from evil
spirits during sleeping hours. As the research unfolded, academic
archaeologists have been so overtrained to avoid "religious explanation" of
artifacts or features that they totally missed the pagan tradition of
concealing boots and shoes in chimneys. What I see here is that those same
people would be loathe to lend credence to dowsing.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.