HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Dendy, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 16:21:05 -0500
They were packed in brine, preferrably seawater. For short trips, no sawdust
and ice packing around them would be required, a well ventilated boxcar
would suffice. Apparently oysters are fairly hardy and live reasonably
healthily (if you're not the oyster)in seawater until the oxygen runs out.
Out here on the prairie, they were much better fare than salt beef or pork,
or pickled pork, for that matter. I confess I was surprised that the oyster
bowl was standard to the quartermaster's mess. There's a whole lens of
broken ones in one of our historic dump sites.