HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Brian Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:11:27 -0400
Ivor Noel Hume
        1987.  Historical Archaeology.  p. 60.

        "I realize that we live in a time when discrimination can land you in
jail, but I must risk it and say that you stand a better chance by taking
on an inexperienced male volunteer than a female.  Digginig is, after all,
a masculine occupation, and while more women than men are likely to do
well in the pot-washing shed or in the laboratory, shovel-wielding females
are not everyday sights in Western society.  If they are to be useful on a
site (and the right women can be spendid excavators), they must be
prepared to be accepted as men, eschewing the traditional rights of their
sex.  It is vastly time-wasting for men working in one area to be
constantly hopping up and down to push barrows for women working in
another.  Besides, it is inordinately restricting after clouting one's
knee with a shovel to have to look around to see if women are in earshot
before commenting on it.
        "Women volunteers who come along because their husbands are there are
unlikely to be of much use in the field; they are best referred to the
provisions supervisor or to the conservator for help with the pot-washing.
 Effective archaeology demands complete concentration on the work in hand,
and the more feminine the women the more lax the concentration.  One lady
volunteer improperly dressed for the occasion can cause havoc throughout
the crew as well as damaging the ground on which she walks.  High heels
and low decolletage are a lethal combination."