HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kris Farmen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:01:48 -0700
Histarch. . .

Thanks to those who have responded so far to my railroad query.  Here are just a few answers to the questions posed:

Stathi. . . This debris scatter is located along the Alaska Railroad, near the town of Nenana.  A small part of the scatter is located along a siding track, although I don't know anything about the relevant dates for the specific siding, and in any case, most of the debris is along a single track.  Our survey corridor was only along the northwest side of the line, and railroad safety restrictions kept us from crossing the track to look for debris on the other side.

Margan. . .Hobo camps. . . Yes, I did exclude Hobo camps.  I'm no expert on the history of railroading in Alaska, but I've never heard of any such camps along the Alaska Railroad, nor have I heard of any real hoboing tradition in Alaska (beyond the singer Hobo Jim, that is).  I imagine this stems from the fact that Alaska's economy was pretty stable during the Depression because of mining, so there weren't unemployed masses trying to get from Fairbanks to Seward looking for work.  Plus the fact that most bush Alaska residents lived better than your average hobo anyway. . .

Kris Farmen
Northern Land Use Research, Inc.
Fairbanks, Alaska